The Financial Benefits of Renewable Solar Energy
Affordable solar is more of a reality than you may think! The system owner typically sees a 4-7 year simple payback on their investment which is why we believe that direct ownership of a solar system is the best investment our customers can make. With the new Solar Loan available, going solar has never made more financial sense. With direct ownership, YOU take the tax & energy credits, not the leasing company. As a result, most of our customers are cash positive at the end of year one!
Cotuit Solar makes it simple and we are with you every step of the way. Our dedicated team works to make affordable solar a reality for you and we use our 29+ years of experience to take the hassle out of going solar. Call us today 508-428-8442 to take advantage of the solar incentives before they are gone!
Residential solar ownership is the way to go! Residential ownership in Massachusetts is better than an investment in the stock market according to this study. A recent MA Department of Energy Resources (DOER) study showed that the net present value (NPV) to homeowners under the direct ownership scenario is more than ten times that of the third-party ownership scenario [leases and PPAs].
The $30 million MA Solar Loan Program, a partnership between the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (DOER) and Mass Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), is working with local banks and credit unions to provide financing to homeowners interested in installing PV Systems on their homes. The Solar Loan helps make solar an affordable option- call us today to see if you qualify!
Solar DOER Loan Overview:
- 681 minimum FICO score
- Closing Costs – $500 maximum
- No Money Down and no payments required during installation
- Loan Amount – up to $60,ooo
- Interest Rate – as low as 3.99% fixed
- Term – 5, 10, 20 year options
- Payments – Interest only payments during construction period. Then Interest and Principal once PTO is achieved.
- No penalty for early repayment
- No lien on property
- Ability to re-amortize within the first 18 months at no cost
Income Based Loan Support (IBLS)
This component could cover an additional 20% to 30% of the gross cost of the loan. Below are the current Income Thresholds to qualify:
Below 80% of State Median Income
(Eligible for 30% reduction of loan principal)
Below 120% of State Median Income
(Eligible for 20% reduction of loan principal)
Cotuit Solar Loan Customers
- The contract with Cotuit Solar is contingent upon execution of the loan
- Cotuit Solar will submit a technical application on behalf of the client to the MassSolar Loan Program.
- Eligibility for the IBLS is based on the gross income from your most recently filed federal tax returns
- Once the technical application is approved the client will take the approval letter to the participating Lender of choice. View participating Lenders.
Below is a list of the current available solar incentives. For additional information, please visit the Database of State Incentives for Renewable Energy as well as the Department of Energy Resources (DOER).
30% Federal Tax Credit
Available for residential or commercial installations. This is a 30% credit for the gross cost which will be applied to the tax year during which your system is completed and can be carried over to subsequent years. Here is a link to the tax form 5695 for the credit. Download the Federal Tax Credit Form.
$1,000 State Tax Credit
This is a one-time tax credit available for primary residences only. Any excess credit amount may be carried over to the next 1-3 taxable years.
$2,500 Local Solar Rebate for Nantucket
In July 2017, the Town of Nantucket launched a local solar rebate program intended to stimulate the adoption of solar energy systems on primary, residential properties located on island. Rebates of up to $2500 are available to cover a portion of the costs of successfully installed solar photovoltaic systems. Click here to learn more.
SRECS or Solar Renewable Energy Credits
This is a market based incentive which means the SREC value will fluctuate. SRECs are sold separately from the power they produce so you receive energy credit from Eversource in addition to selling your SRECs. Learn more about the SREC II Program.
- Every 1000 kWh produced is equivalent to one SREC
- You can sell them through an SREC Aggregator.
- The price is market-based and fluctuates over time.
- You will receive credit for a period of 10 years.
- In order to sell SRECs, they need to be reported first to an online Production Tracking System (or PTS).
- They can either be entered manually or automatically through a Data Acquisition System (DAS).